Wednesday, August 10, 2011

English teachers: is this okay?

I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to teach grammar. I have a narrowed grammar down to what I think is really important for them to know (proper sentence structure, punctuation, sub/verb agreement, correct pronoun reference, capitalization, modifiers, run-ons, plurals, fragments, etc). I have made a short PowerPoint for each of these objectives and I plan to do a "mini-lesson" on one grammatical "issue" at the beginning of every cl, do an independent activity/ worksheet of some kind, and then talk about what we've gone over as we read a story. I teach 9th and 11th grade, and I plan to use the same Power Points for both grades. After all, the grammar is the same for both grades. Does this sound okay? I am only a 2nd year teacher. I am not completely secure with how I go about doing things, and I welcome all help. (As a side note-- I plan to have them write constantly, putting what we've learned in our mini-lessons into practice.)

No comments:

Post a Comment